Tuesday, March 04, 2008

In A Yugo

by Paul Shanklin

I don't think the video is all that great, but I LOVE the song. It's my favorite from Paul Shanklin. I would suggest you just read the words while the video is playing since the video doesn't really do the song any justice.








In A Yugo
by Paul Shanklin

As the snow flies

At a used car lot on the edge of town
A liberal guy and a liberal gal
Buy a Yugo

And they drive with pride

Cause if there's one thing that this world needs
It's environmental friends who'll take the lead
In a Yugo

They say, "people don't you understand
Those suburbans are ruining the land"
But they'll wish they had a full size van one day
They point fingers at you and me
They say we're too blind to see
But do we simply use our heads
And choose another way?

As those small wheels turn
Fifty miles to the gallon
And their knees on their chest
They're gonna save enough gas
For all of the rest
In a Yugo

Then one day on the interstate
They suddenly lose control
They swerve to miss a baby duck
They're squashed beneath a produce truck

But they drove with pride...

And as the crowds drive past a little flat car
You know they saved a lot of gas
But they didnt get far
In a Yugo

And as they're trapped inside
At a used car lot on the other side of town
A liberal guy and a liberal gal
Buy a Yugo....

And they drive with pride...


Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 04, 2008 11:22:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard that tune before in a song that Elvis sang called "In the Ghetto". It's a beautiful song but pretty sad. You probably already knew all that, though. Pretty good parody, my husband will probably like it; he loves paraodies.

 
At Tuesday, March 04, 2008 12:56:00 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Rachael, yes, I've heard the song In The Ghetto by Elvis. I agree that it is beautiful and sad at the same time. I saw Lisa Marie Presley sing it along with a recording of her dad singing. THAT was sad. She cried during it. I don't see how she will ever not cry while performing that song.

I hope your husband does like it. I adore parodies.

 
At Tuesday, March 04, 2008 6:26:00 PM, Blogger Leo said...

LOL!!!! Ah the Yugo...(I presume dmarks would remember) the Yugo has the distinction of being blown off the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan during a storm in 1989. I seem to remember that the sales dropped quite a bit after that event.

 
At Wednesday, March 05, 2008 6:04:00 AM, Blogger dmarks said...

It is my favorite Elvis song too. I was thinking of this song the other day (the Yugo version). Thanks for posting it!

Leo, I blogged about the Yugo blown off the bridge once. I get a lot of hits on it.

 
At Wednesday, March 05, 2008 9:03:00 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

Leo & DMarks, glad you two enjoyed this as much as I have. Paul Shanklin is such a talent. I have several of his CD's. I still listen to the first ones with Clinton and Gore singing. They're way too funny.

 
At Wednesday, March 05, 2008 10:08:00 AM, Blogger dmarks said...

Shanklin has recorded a zillion songs, it seems. As his output grows, he's gain a list of some unremarkable songs as well. A lot of them. However, he also has a lot of great ones. I loved his Perot "They're Coming to Take Me Away" one also. That is probably my 2nd favorite.

 
At Thursday, March 06, 2008 2:30:00 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

Yes, I have the Ross Perot song They're Coming To Take Me Away and it is pretty funny. I can't think of my second favorite from Paul Shanklin at the moment. There are so many good ones.

 
At Saturday, March 08, 2008 4:10:00 PM, Blogger dmarks said...

I just noticed that the video does not even appear to feature a Yugo.

And I've decided to blog about the Yugo myself.

 
At Thursday, March 20, 2008 11:31:00 AM, Blogger Kevin Jackson said...

Reminds me of the good old days, when I drove a 'vette. As Audio Adrenaline sang: 0-60, sometimes. ;)

 
At Monday, March 24, 2008 8:10:00 AM, Blogger Dawn said...

I'm guessing the 'vette was not reliable? :-(

 
At Tuesday, March 25, 2008 1:27:00 PM, Blogger Kevin Jackson said...

Hehe, It was pretty reliable as old cars go. Just not too fast. I remember going back and forth to college over the pass - it would only do about 50 up the inclines. It was a 'vette of the "Chevette" variety by the way. :)

My brother hit a deer with it, and they both met their maker that day (the Chevette and the deer, not my brother). :)

 
At Tuesday, March 25, 2008 2:47:00 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

"My brother hit a deer with it, and they both met their maker that day (the Chevette and the deer, not my brother). :)"

So glad to hear that "both" were the deer and the 'vette. I had already gasped before I read the rest of the sentence!

 
At Wednesday, June 18, 2008 9:16:00 PM, Blogger bluejazzy said...

I enjoyed that. Now I know where to send people to hear it.
wayne

 
At Thursday, June 19, 2008 8:00:00 PM, Blogger Dawn said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it. I think I will listen to it again. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home